Pomegranate fruit is among the oldest known fruits in many cultures. It is a nutrient dense fruit rich in phytochemical compounds. But, most people do not understand the many pomegranate juice health benefits. They only take a glass to keep themselves going and others as a refreshment.
This juice packs more than just a refresher. However, going by the statistics, only a small percentage understand the amazing medicinal powers of pomegranate juice. Recently, this fruit has made its way back into the news after some spectacular clinical results.
This post covers all that you need to know about pomegranate juice.
Pomegranate juice health benefits – The Heart
In-depth research has been done on the potential heart benefits of this pomegranate juice. Statistics from these studies indicate that daily intake of this juice about 8-ounces for about three months can significantly help in;
- Reducing dangerous LDL-cholesterol in the blood stream by reversing a process called LDL-oxidation. This juice contains antioxidant components that help keep bad cholesterol from gaining significant levels in the blood.
- Improving blood flow to the heart. This juice serves as a natural aspirin that keeps the blood from coagulating. This allows unrestricted flow of blood through the body especially in patients suffering from coronary artery disease.
- Reducing the thickening of the arteries supplying blood to the brain by decreasing inflammation in the lining of blood vessels
- Lowering the level of systolic blood pressure by raising the levels of nitric oxide to keep the arteries supple and flexible.
- This juice is also known to reduce atherosclerosis a commonly known cause of heart disease.
Pomegranate juice can help fight cancer
Pomegranate juice can eliminate free radicals from the body. It can also inhibit the development of cancer cells and other diseases.
Laboratory research studies suggest that this juice has a potential ability to induce cancer cells to self—destruct in a process called Apoptosis. The studies also suggest that this juice may help fight, prostate and colon cancer cells by activating enzymes that regulate apoptosis.
Moreover, pomegranate juice is believed to block aromatase which is an enzyme that converts androgen to estrogen. Estrogen hormone is known to play a significant role in the development of breast cancer.
Pomegranate juice maintains your blood sugar level
Unlike other juices, pomegranate juice does not elevate blood sugar levels despite its high fructose levels. Laboratory studies show that diabetic patients who drank this juice daily for about 2-weeks had no significant increase in their blood sugar level.
Pomegranate juice can help in digestion
Pomegranate fruit is a rich source of fibre which is important in digestion. Drinking this juice is a great way to add fibre to your diet. A glass of pomegranate juice can fulfill about 45% of the recommended intake of fibre.
Besides, this juice is also known to prevent over-eating. This juice can also help in handling problems like dysentery and cholera.
Along its antibacterial and antiviral properties, research has proved that drinking pomegranate juice can be a natural way to prevent dental plaque. It can also offer protection against various oral diseases.
Pomegranate juice can help cure Anemia
Pomegranate juice is rich in iron, therefore consuming this juice can help in reducing anemic symptoms like dizziness, weakness and exhaustion.
Pomegranate juice can boost immunity
This juice is rich in anti-inflammatory compounds, and this makes it extremely healthy for people suffering from immune-related disorders like rheumatoid.
This juice is also rich in Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) which enhance antibody production and development of immunity. This juice can, therefore, help you maintain a healthy immune system.
Overtime, people have started realizing the importance of drinking this juice. Further studies are also underway to discover other medicinal properties of pomegranate juice. Other benefits of drinking this juice include:
- Reducing the possibility of premature births and underweight babies
- Daily intake of this juice can also reduce the possibility of developing Alzheimers disease. Alzheimers disease is a disease associated with older people, and it has no cure.
- This juice can also help control aging problems like wrinkles, thus giving people a youthful and glowing skin
- It can also help women overcome depression symptoms during their periods and particularly the post-menopausal depression.
- For men, pomegranate juice can also help in curing erectile dysfunctions.
Simply, the advantages and health benefits of this juice are innumerable. It is, therefore, important to get your hands on some of these juices and start reaping the benefits. You now understand what you have been missing, do you?
Related: Now that you know about Pomegranate, find out more about Cranberry Juice.
Photo by Sierragoddess